Saturday, October 10, 2009

in the wires that decide

Hello! Okay, so i cannot help blogging about this cool thing i experienced this week. (besides the movie surrogate, tgv popcorn, and a slightly slower paced maths lecture yay!)

A few of my uni friends and I decided to go to this research and invention exposition at Kuala Lumpur Convention Center last Thursday cause there wasn't any class in the afternoon yet. Of course on the way, we caved in to Bruce Willis' new movie Surrogate + TGV popcorn (always the best choice!). This exposition features booths of Malaysia's higher institutes of learning's new inventions and research. It was really cool to see some creative inventions and for an hour or so i felt this awesome-nerdish feeling.

Well, let's keep this as short as possible. The main part is, there was this booth where the invention seemed to be a wheelchair. It's called (from my very bad memory) Brain Interface System for Robotic Use or something like that. So what was it actually? It's like this. The person who sits on this chair is hooked onto some stuff like probes to read their brain waves. Then once the whole setting up process is done, how it works is this. The user cannot move any part of their body, even the eyes, and needs to focus hard. If the user imagines his/her hands to move forward, then the chair moves forward. To move right or left, just imagine your hand moving in that direction and the chair follows suit.

I heard the theory, and I tried it out cause it was SO COOL. Some more right after watching Surrogates, this sort of technology awed me. Okay, I know it doesn't sound so cool with no visual and just me and my words but I'm sorry that's the best I can give you. The expo ended today. There is a video but I have to get it from my friend.

So yeah, that's it. What an awkward way to end haha. Oh yeah, Wenshan said a woman asked him if i was paralysed while I was trying out the chair cause I wasn't supposed to move anything at all and had to focus very intently.

Have a good week everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, cool technology^^

Btw, how was surrogates? I find that the movie was pretty interesting haha:) And you're definitely grabbing every opportunity presented to buy a TGV popcorn haha:)

ç£@Réñ©€ said...

Awesome stuff, Sarah! Wish I was there to see it ><" Please share the video when you get your hands on it yea! =D

And is Surrogates nice? ^^

sarah said...

[jonathan]
i kinda liked the movie too :)haha, and yes who can ever resist TGV :P

[clarence]
yeah! the movie is a good one!

Carmen the cranky said...

Surrogates was nice right :D??
I like the movie too!!

Cool chair! Technology nowadays.. this can really help disabled people.