Saturday, November 08, 2008

you count it strange, so once did I

I love public transport. I love ktm. I mean how can you not love it right? The crowd, the shoving, the delays(hint: sarcasm)

So i took the ktm with hannah today to go to church for sketch practice. When i got into the train, somehow i got stuck in a spot where i couldnt move anywhere else. And beside me was this man around 50 who was sweating like no one's business which is perfectly fine i mean everyone sweats. The problem i have is that he just had to stand in the arms-raised-armpits-at-my-face position. I know it was a saturday morning and everything but the train wasnt that packed. In fact, by usual ktm standard, it was perfectly comfortable.

He couldve stood in a less smelly position or at least move his armpits somewhere where there wasnt anyone's face in the way inhaling his stink. That guy has major B.O. issues and don't get me started on how he was so annoying he had to move forward when i did to get some fresh(er) air, and move backward when i did to avoid him again, all the while spreading his offensive smell. I could not breathe, i am serious. So it's like i take one breath and try to make it last as long as possible before taking another.

So you can imagine my relief and desperate air-gasping when he went down at the next station. To avoid another such incident, i moved in a little towards a pole. Another mistake. There was this guy and his girlfriend holding the same pole which is great cause that pole is meant to be shared. Well, obviously that guy assumed he bought over the whole pole(which i dont think so because i didnt see no legal documents to prove that) cause he was leaning on the whole thing. So basically, he was leaning on my hand. I mean, honestly! I thought okay, maybe he didnt realise he was doing that so i moved my hand elsewhere. Still he comfortably rested his back on my hand.

At this time i was getting really annoyed. I mean this and Mr. Perfume and i haven't even had my breakfast! So i pushed him a little with my hand that he was resting on. And would you believe the guy had the nerve to just ignore it and continue leaning while trying to impress his girlfriend? Trust me, the temptation to say "Hello? Ini tangan saya kamu sandar tau?" was so overwhelming or perhaps just a slap in his face would suffice. But i just relented in the end and stood in a very awkward position until the next station which was our stop. Thank God for that.

Of course there was this guy whom hannah stood in front of who was happily picking his nose with such into-ness and then played with the result of his picking before throwing it away. And the people who just have to push their way through the packed staircase just to get one step ahead of you. Yeah sure, that makes a lotta difference. Did i mention the time when i was trying to get into a sardine can of a ktm and this girl behind me hooked(yes, hooked!) her fingers into the back pocket of my jeans just so she can get into the train?

One day on a 15 minute ktm ride was all i needed to get the worst impression of Malaysians. Where do they learn their manners, if they do learn any at all? Of course, it could've all been an illusion because i only took half an apple for breakfast. What a hope.

4 comments:

Kai Seng said...

welcome to malaysia???
nice "experience" u had....
hahahahaha~~~
forgive them for they duno wat they r doing!!
=P

Anonymous said...

Well, we know that certain Malaysians have really bad manners. I have experienced that sort of situation before. I'm glad that you handled your situation with patience haha...

sue said...

haha sarah
such things will certainly happen in ktm train =X
it's great that u have the patience for all this stuff..
anyway, be extra careful when u in the train. i still cant forget the incidence when my phone almost kena stolen in the train..

Anonymous said...

(Yay!! This is my first blog comment ^^)

Wow.. that sucked.. Well, if I were you I would've told the guy leaning on my hand to see what he was leaning against.

Heck.. Some malaysians really don't have courtesy at all.. There was a time I went to MV to watch "Eagle Eye" alone. A chinese girl and her above-60-year-old-mother (seemed like it..) were boarding the ktm. Then, there's this dude who came out of the ktm. He was carrying a bag and from my point of view (couldn't see very clearly from where I stood) and the bag was obstructed by the mother of the girl. Well, he and the bag got out in the end, but he turned back and said "Oi! Bodoh!!" *Sigh*..

Anyway, thank God you didn't lose your temper. There're loads of guys who could just fight back so damn easily and you can't do anything but hear their harsh/rude words from their mouths later on.. I nearly had that experience..

Okay, so.. just try to forget about it and think happy thoughts. =)