Monday, August 18, 2008

tomorrow's so far away

i would never have believed it if you told me i would be doing subtitles as a job. well, i am.
no, i don't get to write my name at the end.

i translate english to malay for anime videos. yeah, can you believe it? i dislike(hate's too strong a word) anime with a passion, and here i am translating these videos and though i only get to read the script and not see the videos, i have to say SOME of the storylines are pretty captivating. i guess some things are best described with words and not pictures.

malaysia being the motherload of all pirated discs, subtitles just don't make sense most of the time. as much as i would like to humour someone, i hope with all my heart my subtitles don't make someone laugh, because we all have our laugh-my-head-off moments with subtitles.

this is my most defining subtitle moment.

english: my lips are sealed.
malay: bibir saya anjing laut.

i rest my case.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice translation....
very creative!!=)

Anonymous said...

Haha, Malaysia's pirated DVDs has lousy subtitles. You should never rely on the subtitles when watching a movie.

Anyway, at least u're doing some work so that u're not bored at home, haha.. Translating anime is also a work. Keep up your good work of translation.

sarah said...

creative isn't how i'd put it haha. oh btw that japanese thing you gave me is quite nice=P

and jon, it's all well if i dont rely on the subtitles for non-chinese movies but i guess the lesson that needs to be learnt is never watch pirated chinese movies? haha

-Δορκας- said...

hey!! you got my dream job... Oh, and I am still unemployed here. How unfair!

Anonymous said...

HEY SARAH i datang melawat xD

Anonymous said...

wow =D worries aside with sum1 like u workin the subtitles! i think u've landed yrself on a fab job btw! minus d anime part =)

sarah said...

definitely blessed with a job that doesn't take away my waking late privileges haha. sorry can i know who you are? i'm guessing your name is christine with the creative username but i'm not sure which christine haha. gonna take a wild guess and say lee?;)

Anonymous said...

lol! n 2 think i was such a pig 2 hav considered 1st : d "sleeping priviledges" of yr job..looks like tht makes 2 of us! =P yup.. it's me alrite.=D

sarah said...

nice to hear from you!! haha and great to know a fellow pig hahaha

Anonymous said...

hehe. i'd like 2 frequent this other eden when i have d time. enjoy reading yr stuff.. =) u have a way wid words. keep it up! n i HAVE to say - gambate wid d book ;)